Thursday, February 18, 2010

Challenger of the day- Mark Boucher

*Up, close and personal with your favourite RCB player. Fans, fire away the quirky questions!

Disclaimer: For the IPL 2009 period, this piece is run entirely on the creative juices of the author and is illustrative of a format that the Chief Blogger for RCB might be involved in writing. 

All content in this piece is to be treated as fictional. 






Q. I heard Jacques Kallis calling you ‘Guinness’ over the stump microphone. What’s the story behind that? Asked Akshay  from Chennai

Ans. I was trying to break David Boon’s record of  downing 52 cans of beer  on a flight to England but I fell just short so my team mates named me ‘Guinness’ for the attempt! (Chuckles) But seriously, I think it’s because of the wicket keeping records I’ve been fortunate to have. It’s fun on the field. I’ll take a catch off Steyn, for example, and he’ll be like, “Nice one Guinness, which one was that? No 743?”  
Nowadays they prefer calling me The Finisher though, like I was some gruesome undertaker!

Q. What was going through your head before that ball you struck for four to seal the match in the 434 run chase at the Wanderers chase against Australia? asked Ektaa from Bhavnagar

Ans. The only thing on my mind was, “No, no, Aussies. You’re not getting this match back!” The adrenaline surge when I drove the ball past mid-on was incredible.
Brett Lee’s a pal and at a party later on he met me and Andrew Hall (who’d gotten out on the previous ball) and said, “I thought you were going to follow in Andrew’s footsteps, mate. Whatever happened there! That was some shot”

It’s a stand out moment in my career as far as finishing a match is concerned, and matched only by the IPL finish against Kolkata Knight Riders.

Watch a video (slightly stodgy resolution but has Tony Greig's commentary!) of that final over against Australia at the Wanderers here:







Q.  Which venue in India do you enjoy playing in the most? asked Gaurav from Delhi

Ans.  Eden Gardens.  Fantastic atmosphere with what is it, a million passionate cricket fans. It’s impossible to hear each other when we play so we usually work on sign language as preparation before the match!

Of course, Bangalore is awesome too, having played my home games there last season and I can’t wait to get back next year and bat with the stands awash in red and gold!

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Urban Designs